We asked small business owners for interview tips and here is what they said:
- Call to ask about the job yourself instead of your parent or guardian, and always say "Yes" not "Yeah".
- Don't be late. Arrive at least 10 - 15 minutes early and make sure you know where you're going ahead of time.
- Do not show up under the influence of anything! This should be a no brainer but it has happened, true story.
- Turn off your phone and put it away.
- Dress appropriately. No jeans, t-shirts, short shorts, short dresses or tank tops. You get the idea.
- When introducing yourself, look the employer in the eye and shake thier hand. This one is important. Most of the small business owners we polled said this.
- Know the job description and research the place of business beforehand.
- Talk about other jobs you have had, your experience with volunteering, school projects and activities.
- Always say Thank You at the end of the interview.
- If you haven't heard anything about the job, it's ok to follow up.
Watch this video for helpful tips on how to prepare for an interview: